We gratefully acknowledge permission to publish the following images


Left Sidebar - Top

Herman Melville JOEaton-95ppi-250w
(Click to view a larger image or right-click
to open full-size in a new tab or window.)

This portrait of Herman Melville by Joseph Oriel Eaton, May 1870,
was commissioned and presented to the family by Melville's brother-in-law, John Hoadley
(Hershel Parker, Herman Melville: A Biography, Vol. 2, 703-4).
By permission of the Houghton Library, Harvard University.

Call Number: *61Z-4
Title: Herman Melville [graphic] / JOEaton.
Author: Eaton, Joseph Oriel, 1829-1875, artist.
Owning Repository: Houghton Library - Harvard University - Modern Books and Manuscripts
(>1800) Hollis Number: 008652152




Melville and Rome: Call for Papers


Piranesi's Arch of the Emperor Marcus Aurelius, from Melville's print collection, by permission of owner.

Mystic Seaport NEH 2010 Summer Institute

The 1841 whaleship Charles W. Morgan berthed at Mystic Seaport Museum."  Photo courtesy of Mystic Seaport Museum.




Lansingburgh Historical Society

Melville House

Melville lived for nine years in this Lansingburgh house. It was here that he wrote Typee and Omoo

Berkshire Historical Society

ArrowheadMelville's Arrowhead home and farm in Pittsfield, MA where he wrote Moby-Dick and lived for most of the 1850s.